[DRAFT] Constitutional Tweaks Act

Link to current text: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1957959

Constitutional Tweaks Act

Chapter 6, section 1 shall be amended to:

The Ecclesia may amend this Constitution by a two thirds majority of its voting members. Such a vote must be open for at least one week.

Chapter 4, section 6 shall be created:

The Speaker shall serve while they enjoy the confidence of the Ecclesia, and shall tender their resignation to the Monarch should they be unable to serve or the Ecclesia votes no confidence in their Speakership.

Chapter 4, section 4 shall be amended to:

The Ecclesia may adopt bills to make changes to the Law by a simple majority vote. The Monarch shall grant such bills royal assent unless they consider that the bill contradicts this Constitution. Should the Monarch refuse royal assent, the bill shall be referred to the Senate, who may by a majority vote find that the bill does not contradict this Constitution and compel the Monarch to grant royal assent. Bills granted royal assent shall become law.

Chapter 4, section 7 shall be created:

All majorities in this Constitution shall consider only substantive votes, without regard for abstentions or other unsubstantive votes without clear intent for or against a proposal.

Markup of changes
Note: this markup is written by the author in good faith for the benefit of voters. Voters are encouraged to read through all relevant laws and the actual amendment text in addition to this summary.

Current Chapter 6, section 1:

The Ecclesia may amend this Constitution by an absolute two thirds majority vote of its membership.

New:

The Ecclesia may amend this Constitution by a two thirds majority of its voting members. Such a vote must be open for at least one week.

Current Chapter 4, section 4:

The Ecclesia may adopt bills by a simple majority vote. The Monarch shall grant such bills royal assent unless they consider that the bill contradicts this Constitution. Should the Monarch refuse royal assent, the bill shall be referred to the Senate, who may by a majority vote find that the bill does not contradict this Constitution and compel the Monarch to grant royal assent. Bills granted royal assent shall become law.

New:

The Ecclesia may adopt bills to make changes to the Law by a simple majority vote. The Monarch shall grant such bills royal assent unless they consider that the bill contradicts this Constitution. Should the Monarch refuse royal assent, the bill shall be referred to the Senate, who may by a majority vote find that the bill does not contradict this Constitution and compel the Monarch to grant royal assent. Bills granted royal assent shall become law.

Could we have markup here?

Also, the Citizen-Speaker does not have a Government for the Ecclesia to vote no confidence in, I would put Speakership or similar.

I hate the aesthetics of adding a Chapter 7 as per your draft. Does this really need to be in the constitution? The constitution is intentionally non-specific about what exactly a vote is and how it works, leaving that to the Protocols.

1 Like

A markup of the full text would be difficult since the constitution is very format-heavy at the moment, but I could look into implementing it for the near-future.

Fixed the speakership part, I didn’t catch that on the copy-and-paste.

With something as fundamental as to whether abstentions are ignored or counted, I feel it deserves to be in the constitution since stuff like that should probably have a definite definition instead of it being up to interpretation (via Ecclesia law, or Senate decision). Perhaps it’d make more sense to add it to chapter 4 though, instead of it’s own chapter.

Your amendment with respect to the Speaker should remain consistent with the rest of the Constitution, that does not use the term “Citizen-Speaker.”

Fixed!

Also just realized that I misread the question :stuck_out_tongue:
I added a markup of the changed portions.